© 2018 Neon Nettle

Subscribe to our mailing list

Advertise Contact About Us Write For Us T&C's Privacy Support Us © 2018 Neon Nettle All Rights Reserved.

3 Killed in Hostage Terror Attack in France Linked to Daesh

Three people confirmed dead following supermarket seige

By: Jay Greenberg  |@NeonNettle
 on 24th March 2018 @ 9.53am
three people have been confirmed dead following the attack © press
Three people have been confirmed dead following the attack

Three people have been killed in an attack in Southern France after a gunman claiming allegiance to the Daesh terrorist group took hostages and fired shots.

A source within the Interior Ministry confirmed two people had died at the hostage-taking incident in a supermarket in Trebes on Friday, saying:

"It is a provisional assessment as it could unfortunately get worse. Three people are wounded, including one of them seriously."

According to reports, the incident started when a man "entered the Super U supermarket at around 11.15 a.m. and shots were heard," a security source told AFP on condition of anonymity.

A police union official later stated that the attacker had also killed one person with a fatal gunshot wound to the head shortly before the hostage-taking took place, in the nearby town of Carcassonne.

radouane lakdim  who authorities have named as the 26 year old attacker responsible for the attack © press
Radouane Lakdim, who authorities have named as the 26-year-old attacker responsible for the attack

PressTV reports: French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said the situation in southern France is "very serious."

He added that one police officer has been injured in the attack.

According to BFM TV, the supermarket attacker was shot down after French police launched a raid.

The hostage-taker in Trebes had asked for the release of Paris November 2015 attacker Salah Abdeslam, BFM TV said, citing an anonymous source.

French President Emmanuel Macron said the hostage-taking incident in southern France appears to be a terrorist attack.

If the link to Daesh is confirmed, the attack would be the first major incident since the election of Macron in May last year.

The Friday incidents occurred at a time when France is still on high alert after a string of attacks since 2015.

On January 7, 2015, two Takfiri militants attacked Charlie Hebdo magazine, killing 12 people, including top editorial staff. The attack was largely believed to have been launched over the weekly’s insulting cartoons of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH).

arnaud beltrame  the policeman who died after being seriously injured during the siege © press
Arnaud Beltrame, the policeman who died after being seriously injured during the siege.

A day after the magazine attack, another militant killed a policewoman. On January 9, 2015, he also took people hostage at the HyperCacher supermarket and killed four of them before being shot dead by police.

On the same day, the escaped Charlie Hebdo gunmen were killed in a printing plant in Dammartin-en-Goele north of Paris.

France also suffered major attacks in Paris in November 2015 when Daesh launched a series of violent attacks, targeting cafes and a concert hall in Paris, and massacring a total of 130 people.

In July 2016, a truck driver deliberately plowed through a Bastille Day crowd in Nice, killing 84 people and wounding 200 others. An 85th victim of the attack, claimed by Daesh, died later in hospital.

France lifted a state of emergency put in place just after the Paris attacks in October last year, but soldiers continue to patrol major tourist sites and transport hubs under an anti-terror mission.

Subscribe to our mailing list

Follow NN


PREV
BOOKMARK US
NEXT