© 2017 Neon Nettle

Subscribe to our mailing list

Advertise Contact About Us Write For Us T&C's Privacy Support Us © 2017 Neon Nettle All Rights Reserved.

North Korea: Guam Warns Citizens to Prepare for Nuclear Attack

Issues emergency warning of North Korean strike for residents

By: Jay Greenberg  |@NeonNettle
 on 11th August 2017 @ 8.05pm
guam warns citizens to prepare for an attack from north korea © Neon Nettle
Guam warns citizens to prepare for an attack from North Korea

Residents of the US territory of Gaum have been issued an emergency warning to prepare for a nuclear attack from North Korea.

Warnings advising residents what to do if North Korea attacks the Pacific island have been televised as tensions mount between the United States and Kim Jong-un's regime.

N Korea's state-run news agency said the hermit nation was preparing plans to fire four intermediate-range missiles over Japan to land near Guam.

The government has now issued guidelines for what to do in the event of an attack despite the governor of Guam shrugging off 's missile warning saying there was no heightened threat.

Express reports: The guidelines read: "Do not look at the flash or fireball - It can blind you.

"Take cover behind anything that might offer protection."

"Remove your clothing to keep radioactive material from spreading. Removing the outer layer of clothing can remove up to 90 per cent of radioactive material.”

The guidelines urge residents to prepare an emergency supply kit and make a list of potential concrete structures near home, work, and school to serve as fallout shelters.

According to Homeland Security, a basic kit should include: one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, a three-day supply of nonperishable food, battery-powered or wind-up radio, torch, first aid kit, extra batteries, whistle, dust mask, moist towels, bin bags, plastic ties, spanner, manual can opener, local maps, and mobile phone with chargers and backup batteries.

The fact sheet continues: "Fallout shelters do not need to be specifically constructed for protecting against fallout.

”They can be protected space, provided that the walls and roof are thick and dense enough (i.e. concrete) to absorb radiation given off by fallout particles."

The guidelines even tell people how to wash, urging them not to scrub or scratch skin or use conditioner - because it binds radioactive material.

There is also advice for parents who are away from their children when the territory comes under attack, with guidelines stating: "Stay where you are, even if you are separated from your family.

"Listen to the news. Do not call the school. Be patient. Wait for instructions to pick up your child."

The information on the fact sheet was gathered from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security website www.ready.gov, a Guam Homeland Security spokeswoman told the Pacific Daily News.

The guidelines have been issued despite Guam governor Eddie Calvo insisting there is “no panic” on the island following the warmongering threats of Kim Jong-un.

Speaking on Fox News, he said: “Obviously for our administration and for the people of Guam there is concern and worry but there is no panic.

“If you can recall and just going back to 2013, this is about the third, fourth threat made by North Korea specifically to Guam as well as other facilities or bases in Asia and in the States, Hawaii and the West coast.

“Right now we’ve got 160,000 American citizens on this island, 50,000 American citizens in the Northern Mariana Islands, and any given day we’ve got 10 to 15,000 tourists enjoying our shores.

“We encourage everyone to go through their lives and live them like you would do any other day.”

Guam is home to about 163,000 people as well as a major US military base. 

Earlier on Friday, President Trump tweeted to say that "military solutions are now fully in place, locked and loaded, should North Korea act unwisely".

There are also believed to be around six B-1 bombers stationed in Guam, ready to fight if the President gives the order.

The US reportedly has a plan ready for a preemptive strike on North Korean missile sites with the .

The plan involves an attack by Rockwell B-1 Lancer supersonic heavy bombers from Andersen Air Force Base in the US territory of Guam, according to military officials.

Retired Admiral James Stavridis told NBC News: “Of all the military options … [President Trump] could consider, this would be one of the two or three that would at least have the possibility of not escalating the situation.”

Another official added that there is “no good option”, but a unilateral US bomber strike not supported by any assets in South Korea constitutes "the best of a lot of bad options”.

“The B-1 has also been selected because it has the added benefit of not being able to carry nuclear weapons. Military planners think that will signal China, Russia, and Pyongyang that the US is not trying to escalate an already bad situation any further."

tags: North Korea | WW3

Subscribe to our mailing list

Follow NN


PREV
BOOKMARK US
NEXT