73% Of ALS Foundation Donations Are Not Used For Research

Ice bucket challenge proceeds spent on costs and salaries

By: Megan Saad  |@Babygurlmeg
 on 29th August 2014 @ 4.09pm
so far almost  100 million  over   60 million  in donations towards research into the condition has been donated © Politicalears.com
So far almost $100 million (over £60 million) in donations towards research into the condition has been donated.

The viral ice bucket challenge taking the internet by storm aims to raise awareness for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in a fun way. So far the challenge, accepted by celebrities and regular folk alike, has stacked up almost $100 million (over £60 million) in donations towards research into the condition. 

BUT, despite the good intentions of its donors, the ALS Foundation has admitted that over 73% of the donated money is going towards fundraising, overhead expenses, executive salaries and external donations. Leaving just under 27% forresearch into Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, its intended purpose.

at the moment the executive employees of the als foundation are all receiving six figure salaries  ranging from  110 661    66 705  to  339 475    204 © Politicalears.com
At the moment the executive employees of the ALS Foundation are all receiving six-figure salaries, ranging from $110,661 (£66,705) to $339,475 (£204

Charitable watchdog ECFA deems these figures to be unacceptable, as under their definition, a reliable charity is supposed to ensure that at least 80% of its donations go towards their intended projects. At the moment the executive employees of the ALS Foundation are all receiving six-figure salaries, ranging from $110,661 (£66,705) to $339,475 (£204,630) a year. 

Perhaps those accepting the popular ice bucket challenge online should invest their donations more wisely in the future, into causes more likely to hold accountability for where your hard-earned cash is going.

Photo Credit: Politicalears.com
tags: ALS | Celebrities

Follow NN


site by Ruf Design   |   © 2014 Zero Hour Digital Ltd. All Rights Reserved.